Adam Brown was a member of Butler’s Rangers, a British provincial regiment that fought in the American Revolutionary War. The group was comprised mostly of Loyalists from upstate New York. When the Rangers were disbanded in June of 1784 its veterans were granted parcels of land in Niagara as a reward for their loyalty and service to the crown. Brown built an inn and tavern on his land, eventually expanding the facilities to include a store and wharf on the shores of the Niagara River. Here locally produced potash and lime was shipped across Lake Ontario and down the St. Lawrence to Montreal and overseas.
During the War of 1812 Brown’s Point was used as a camp by both the Canadian York Militia and invading American Army (on separate occasions, of course).
This was the spot where General Issac Brock famously rallied his troops on October 13th with the rallying call “Push on York Volunteers!” as he charged into the town Queenston (and his ultimate demise on the hills of the Escarpment). Whether that event actually happened (and on this spot in particular) is up for debate, but regardless has become part of local lore.
Today Brown’s Point is home to a forest grove and several trails and pathways. The Greater Niagara Circle Route forks here, with a route travelling through the wooded area and the other following the Parkway. At the point where it forks there is an older stone monument placed by the Niagara Historical Society in 1915. It commemorates Brock’s rallying cry. A few hundred feet down the trail there is a small parking area at the centre of the Point where a newer monument placed by the Niagara Parks Commission sits.
There are (likely unsanctioned) hiking trails that extend into the woods along the shoreline here, providing access for recreational fishing and hikers. This area is also marked with blue blazes, marking it as a Bruce side trail.