Episode 26: Burch’s Mills

April 26th, 2011Posted by admin

In our final (and much belated) entry from the winter of 2011 we visit Burch’s Mills, or at the very least the land where John Burch’s water-powered grist and saw mill once stood. The facility, which went into operation in 1786, was among the first industrial usage of water from the west bank of the Niagara River. The mills were short lived and were burned by the retreating American army on July 26, 1814 following the Battle of Lundy’s Lane.